Friday, April 13, 2007

Learn by Experience...

ex•pe•ri•ence |ikˈspi(ə)rēəns| noun
The process whereby one messes up enough times to remember how not to mess up again. (hopefully) :-)

Today's photo shoot was one of those times where I just had a brain-fade while shooting... Not really that bad, but bad enough to give a little lesson on carelessness, and composition.

ISO 100 ~ f/7.1 ~ 1/160 ~ 95mm

Here is the original image... Who can guess what is wrong with it? Well, I consider it a very poorly framed shot. I'm not sure where I was looking when I tripped the shutter, but I was not visualizing the end result very well. In anticipation of the direction of the subject's gaze, the photo should always give more room in front of the subject than behind it... As if there is some room for it to ‘walk’ out of the frame. The same rule applies to people. Give more room to the front of a person if you want a more balanced look.
To combat this problem, I ended up cropping the photo. Here is the final result:


That is not a perfect crop, but it definitely gives a more balanced feel to the image. If I were to bring more room to the front of her face, I would start clipping off her paws, which I felt added to the vertical composition.

What do you think?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • What a beautiful dog! Personally, I think the second dog that is in the background distracts from your subject of the main dog...so I do like the cropped picture better.

    "Learn by experience" -- I've had some of those, too! (Amazing what one can do with cropping!) You are brave posting some of your 'experience' pictures. :D (I won't call it bad because it really isn't...the lighting and how you capture the dog's expression is full of life!)

    By Blogger Bethany, at 10:00 PM  

  • Hey, I actually thought the first shot was neat because you could see her shadow in the background and the lighting was very good! =) ...Though I I understand the other principle in photography usually looks much better!
    Give Beth and Sarah a hug for me! ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:07 AM  

  • Bethany:,
    Thank you! She's also a sweet dog, although she usually gets a little too excited when you go to pet her... :-)
    Yes, its been very interesting trying to post a photo every day... But it's been good for me! :-) At least it gives a more honest glimpse of what kind of photographer I truly am—not some great master.... Just a student that loves trying to capture small snapshots of God's beauty!

    Becca::
    You want me to give the 'mutts' a hug!?!?!? I thought you were so relieved to escape them by going to NC? :-) Are you having withdrawals? :-)
    You can pet Jasper for me, too!

    By Blogger Ryan H, at 1:12 PM  

  • It was jokingly said about giving them a hug... =) Didn't you see my 'wink'?!? =)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home