Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The GIMP...

...It can be done...

This was done completely in the GIMP.  I wanted to do a really quick test to see what could be achieved in the GIMP, before I started recommending it. :-)  I have to admit, it's not a pretty interface, and it takes a LOT more time, but it has some fairly advanced features that are in it's commercial sibling.  Oh, and did I already mention that it's about $499 less? :-)
I'll have to spend a little more time figuring it out before I write any tutorials, but if you are looking for simple effects, it should work well.  I found it's weakness in the lack of pre-configured options such as intuitive drop-shadows, outer glow, and embossing effects.  Those are one-click features in the blending-options pane of Photoshop. (since version 5)
You can, however, use transparency and gaussian blur, which are two major tools in my arsenal of graphic design.  I think it's a solid program for the price. :-)  (other than the fact that it just crashed on me...  Another reminder to save your work often!!!)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • Neat!! That's encouraging! I never downloaded Gimp after we reformatted awhile back, cuz I could never figure it out. This gives me hope! :-) A tutorial would be WONDERFUL! :-) (hehehe....in all your spare time!:-)

    By Blogger muzic4him, at 8:13 AM  

  • I have the gimpster, but usually use picasa for photo tweaking and enhancement. If you figure out how to do any of those "pref-configured options," let us know! If I could use these options without much complication, I might switch to GIMP completely. I'd rather be free of Picasa's album-oriented interface, and do my photo-tweaking more directly.

    BTW, awesome wallpaper! I love that verse.

    --Jacob

    By Blogger Jacob, at 1:47 PM  

  • I've been dabbling a little bit with Gimp after you recommended it. It definitely has a lot more potential than the photo editing program I had. Someday when I have time and the creativity I might manage to do something with it. :)

    Thanks for proving what Gimp can do! :)

    By Blogger Brittney, at 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home