Sunday, September 10, 2006

How we read our Bibles...


"A man once stood in the pulpit, and shocked everyone, as he held the Bible out, and said with a loud voice, 'This is worthless; don’t waste your time with this. Take my word for it. This, can do nothing for you, ever, in your life. It’s a waste of time. This is worthless to you, I guarantee all of you, so don’t waste your time with it.' People were becoming offended, when he suddenly opened it and said, 'But this, this will make you Holy. Closed, it is worthless. No good having a Bible, that isn’t opened. If you carry it closed, it’s just to the next spot to open.'"

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-


I supposed I knew my Bible,
Reading piecemeal, hit or miss,
Now a bit of John or Matthew,
Now a snatch of Genesis,
Certain chapters of Isaiah,
Certain Psalms (the twenty-third)
Twelfth of Romans, First of Proverbs--
Yes, I thought I knew the Word!

But I found that thorough reading
Was a different thing to do,
And the way was unfamiliar
When I read the Bible through.
You who like to play at Bible,
Dip and dabble, here and there.
Just before you kneel aweary,
And yawn through a hurried prayer;

You who treat the Crown of Writings
As you treat no other book--
Just a paragraph disjointed,
Just a crude impatient look--
Try a worthier procedure
Try a broad and steady view;
You will kneel in very rapture
When you read the Bible through!

-- Amos R. Wells

6 Comments:

  • Very true! I've never heard that story before. It reminds me of a quote by Keith Daniels. He says, "What you do with the Word of God will determine what God does with your life" I think there's a lot of truth in that statement and I feel a need to let it sink deeper into my heart.

    And BTW, great photo! It looks like you are having tons of fun with your new camara!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:14 PM  

  • Actually, Annie,
    That was from one of Keith's sermons on the Word of God. Very powerful! I was reminded afresh of my need for the life-giving Word!
    P.S. Yes, I am having fun with the camera! :-)

    -Ry
    --
    “Happy is that people, that is in such a case: yea, happy is that people, whose God is the LORD.”
    —Psalms 144:15

    By Blogger Ryan H, at 1:06 AM  

  • Hmmmm, I think we've got that sermon somewhere around here. You've inspired me to get it out and listen to it again!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:36 AM  

  • Great story -- really brings the point home! (and great picture, too!)

    PS - What's this about a new camera?! :D Very happy for you!

    By Blogger Bethany, at 2:26 PM  

  • Thanks, Bethany!
    It was truly a challenge to me to think of how I spend my spare moments. — Those minutes DO count in eternity!

    About the new camera, I was recently asked by one of my good friends to photograph his wedding (on Oct 14th.) I told him that I would love to, but that there were a few problems: 1) I didn't have a camera of my own. (All my previous picts are from my Dad's point-and-shoot camera) and 2) I have never shot a wedding before, and I don't really consider myself a good enough photographer to shoot something that important... Anyhow, he said that he really wanted me to shoot his wedding... So I had a really good excuse to go out a purchase a camera. :-D I poured over reviews, asked questions from professionals, and finally settled on a relatively inexpensive, but sufficiently capable camera: Canon's EOS 350D (Digital Rebel XT) and a 28-135mm lense. (I know, I know... Sorry, Nikonians! It was a hard choice between Nikon and Canon... :D ) Nevertheless, it's really fun to be able to have full control over my images, after being confined to a little point-and-shoot!

    God Bless!!!
    -Ry
    --
    “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.” James 1:17

    By Blogger Ryan H, at 12:36 AM  

  • P.S. ...And, I forgot to mention, you did a great job with Ragnar + Angela's wedding photos! I'm glad that all went well for you!

    By Blogger Ryan H, at 12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home